Parodists and critics might be laughing at its headlines, but Upworthy is a social juggernaut that, for now, can’t be stopped. The site registered 46.7 million unique visits in October, and the first week of November has already seen 25 million uniques. According to Quantcast, the curated video site is now doing more US traffic than Bleacher Report, Time.com, and Fox News. In fact, the only publications doing better that aren’t giant Web portals are Huffington Post, BuzzFeed, and NBCnews.com.
Upworthy, which has just launched a sponsored section about global health as part of its nascent monetization efforts, has also provided PandoDaily with a leaderboard of its most viral stories to date.
The company believes that the topical spread of stories counters any criticism that Upworthy is too “left-leaning.” However, the main knock on Upworthy is not that it’s solely the domain of bleeding heart liberals but that the crushing monotonal earnestness of its imploring headlines can get a little out of hand. That’s why it has earned itself a parody Twitter account, called Upworthit, whose entire reason for being is to make fun of Upworthy’s emotive Facebook bait. Put another way, critics react to the site not because of political bias, but because it is the moralizing student in the 101 lecture hall who cries in class because the world just won’t spare a thought for the emaciated speckle-throated otters of Lesotho.
But 47 million monthly uniques after just 17 months of existence. The fastest-growing media company ever. Upworthy might, reasonably, file the taunts in the “We don’t give a shit” basket.
So, to that leaderboard. If you want your YouTube video of that time you cried during a wedding to go viral, study this list.
Upworthy’s Greatest Hits
- This Kid Just Died. What He Left Behind Is Wondtacular. Pageviews: 17 million (Pictured above)
- See Why We Have An Absolutely Ridiculous Standard Of Beauty In Just 37 Seconds. Pageviews: 11.8 million
- Dustin Hoffman Breaks Down Crying Explaining Something That Every Woman Sadly Already Experienced. Pageviews: 7.8 million
- 9 Out Of 10 Americans Are Completely Wrong About This Mind-Blowing Fact. Pageviews: 6.3 million
- A Boy Makes Anti-Muslim Comments In Front Of An American Soldier. The Soldier’s Reply: Priceless. Pageviews: 6.3 million
- A Brave Fan Asks Patrick Stewart A Question He Doesn’t Usually Get And Is Given A Beautiful Answer. Pageviews: 6.3 million
- Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him On Live TV. Pageviews: 5.2 million
- His First 4 Sentences Are Interesting. The 5th Blew My Mind. And Made Me A Little Sick. Pageviews: 4.9 million
- Watch The First 54 Seconds. That’s All I Ask. You’ll Be Hooked After That, I Swear. Pageviews: 4.6 million
- A Pastor Asks A Politician Why He Supports Gay Marriage. It Seems He Wasn’t Prepared For His Reply. Pageviews: 4.5 million
- Who Doesn’t Like To Watch Half-Naked Girls Dancing? These Guys, After They See Why It’s Happening. Pageviews: 4.3 million